Many families are worried about the increasing weight of children, but this does not mean that children should be made to diet. Doing this increases the risk of eating disorder in them as they grow up. Parents need to keep some things in mind when their children gain weight. It has been found that when we stop the child from eating something, he starts eating more of it. Instead of interrupting the children a lot, a time should be fixed for their habits. Know from Dr. Gargi Patel, a pediatrician at BJ Medical College, Ahmedabad, how to control the increasing weight of children.
4 habits will control children’s weight-
- Keep active throughout the day – Children between 3 and 5 years should be active throughout the day, while children from 6 to 17 years should do 60 minutes of physical activity every day. In addition to aerobic activity, running, jumping and muscle-strengthening activities should be included in their routine to strengthen bones.
- Calories help in weight loss – Children 6 to 12 years old need 1600 to 2200 calories daily. During the Corona epidemic, the calorie intake of children has increased due to frequent eating at home. In such a situation, when they ask for something to eat, they can be given a carrot, apple, banana or some grapes. They contain less than 100 calories.
- Change the habit of eating while watching TV- Spending more than two hours in front of the screen is harmful, but during Corona, the screen time of children has increased due to online classes. According to a research, children eat more than they need while watching TV. This increases obesity. There are two ways to avoid this danger. Do not allow children to watch TV at mealtimes and keep them away from gadgets for two hours before bedtime.
- 9 to 12 hours of sleep required – 10-13 hours (includes naps) for children 3 to 5 years old, 8-10 hours in 24 hours for 6-12 years, 9-12 hours and teens 13-18 years sleep is necessary. In fact, incomplete sleep increases the pressure to overeat and not be physically active.
Check with BMI, Know child how much healthy-
The definition of how healthy a child is is different for both parents and experts. Parents understand this just by looking at the child physically. But the most important thing is how fit he is according to his height and weight. It is important to know this. For this, check the body mass index (BMI). This shows how fit the child is. In order to calculate BMI, it is necessary to have accurate information about weight and height
Example: Weight – 60 kg, Height – 166 cm (1.66 m) Calculation – 60 (1.66)2 = 21.77
Mathematics of health: understand this way-
- BMI less than 18.5 means underweight
- BMI between 18.5-25 means healthy weight
- BMI between 25-30 means overweight
- BMI between 30-40 means obese
- BMI over 40 means overweight
- What the main Reason of obesity ,causes of Weight Gain
- 10 Major Causes of Weight Gain-health care
- These 7 habits will not let you lose weight
- Lose Weight Without Dieting 12 Effective tips